Sunday, August 10, 2008

Four Weeks and Counting

Four weeks from now, if all goes well, if I'm lucky, if the weather is good, I'll be somewhere on the Ironcourse, hearing that, with two hours to go, there is time for me to get to the finish.

As we approach this momentous date, I've been reflecting on all of the experiences I would not have had without Ironman training. For example, without IM training, I would not have:

1) Swum for an hour tethered to a starting block at the fitness center pool, going absolutely nowhere fast. Well, in my case, going absolutely nowhere slow.

2) Served as a case manager for a drunken goose next to Lake Monona.

3) Run up the elipse at the Monona Terrace under cover of darkness in only shorts and a sports bra.

4) Listened to more than one person say, "YOU are going to run a marathon? I can't believe that."

5) Eaten ham.

6) Led a bunch of undergraduates on a trail run through the Arb.

7) Swum in Lake Wingra.

8) Bailed out of Hell Brick and hitched a ride for me and my bike home with stranger guys in a Jeep.

9) Eaten Salted Nut Rolls by the case.

10) Demand extra fast service from the wetsuit repair people because, "dude, I have an Ironman in four and a half weeks."

It's true: Ironman training takes you to places you've never dared go before, even if those places are 10 feet out from the diving block for hours at a time.

No comments: