Sunday, June 1, 2008

Things You Still Can Learn

Ironman training is teaching me lots of things:

1. Training actually makes a difference.
2. Experience makes a difference.
3. The hills are psychological, as well as alive with music.
4. Everybody has a theory about What to Eat, including a guy today who told me to eat a PDQ sticky bun and two strips of bacon for breakfast before IM.
5. I am way stronger than I realized.
6. If you run slowly, but ask somebody ---like your coach---what is up, you could go from running 12 minute mile to running 8 minute miles in like, nothing flat. Who knew?
7. Putting a 12-27 on the bike makes those hills a whole lot more friendly.


Today, I rode my first full 2008 circuit of the Ironman Loop. In 2006, I rode the loop once, at the end of my first biking summer, with someone preparing for IMWI 06. Walking was involved, although the ego prevented the crying. In 2007, I attempted the route three times and had issues each time. In 2008, I have taken it piece by piece--one trip from Verona to Mt. Horeb to Cross Plains a few weeks back, one out-and-back from Timber Lane up Old Sauk Pass and down Old Sauk and back, a night of hill repeats on Old Sauk, and a couple of car trips around the full loop. Today, I put it together---and had a great ride. The weather was great, the wind was good, and no walking was involved---these all were important factors. Still, I suspect the deciding one was totally excellent company---a group of riders enjoying the day, not worried about pace, and very sweet about and encouraging of my IM aspirations, despite my limitations. Being in such good company on such a fine day totally took my mind away from the usual worries and allowed me to just ride my ride...which resulted in my ironloop PR. Hills I walked two years ago, I now ride; places I've had probelms before, are just places I know. I am feeling very fortunate....and also hoping that IM day is no warmer than this---the aborted missions all happened in the heat. It's all about the attitude, the company, the weather, and the nutrition. Oh, yeah: and the training.

Today's ride followed a good run and a great swim (relatively speaking) yesterday (good god, pool swimming is easier now that I've been in the lake!!). IMWI is 3 months and 6 days away. There's a lot to do and learn, but this weekend gave me evidence that it is coming together. I am on the edge of having the confidence to ask people to put it on their calendars.

1 comment:

IronWaddler said...

Your incredible journey is falling into place.